Walt Mankowski via plug on 16 Jan 2021 18:21:52 -0800

Re: [PLUG] car tracking

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 06:27:14PM -0500, Steve Litt via plug wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 14:08:43 -0500
> Walt Mankowski via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 01:57:44PM -0500, Rich Freeman via plug wrote:
> > > If you're worried about somebody tracking your car, and not worried
> > > about somebody tracking your phone, then I'm kind of curious what
> > > your threat model is.
> >
> > I think for most people, the treat model of not being able to find
> > your car in case you've been injured in an accident is a higher risk
> > than The Man tracking your car.
>
> I don't have a dog in this fight but many, many times I have a full
> basket of groceries and forgot where, in a football field sized parking
> lot, I parked my car. Oh, and every row is separated by a curb and
> grass that will spill my basket, and I can't just leave my basket
> hanging around to look.

I assumed that works by having the phone remember the GPS coordinates
when I turn my car off and the phone gets disconnected from the car's
bluetooth. There's no need for it transmit that information back to
the mothership.