Rich Freeman via plug on 6 Feb 2021 04:10:56 -0800

Re: [PLUG] DOMAIN REGISTRAR

On Fri, Feb 5, 2021 at 9:10 PM Ronald P Guilmet <ronpguilmet@gmail.com> wrote:

> So if I had a static ip you could use bind9 or something , or am I way off?

That is the classical way to do it.  I use bind at home myself, but
only inside my firewall.

I think that most of the pros have moved away from bind, but I
couldn't tell you all the details.  I'd definitely look into it first.
I know that the more modern servers tend to focus on being either
authoritative or recursive.  In this case you need an authoritative
server.

You would point your domain (via your registrar) at the DNS server's
IP, and then the DNS server actually hosts the zone.

--
Rich