Fred Stluka via plug on 6 Feb 2021 11:27:15 -0800

Re: [PLUG] DOMAIN REGISTRAR

Warning!

I used to run my own DNS.  The biggest problem was that you have
to be up 100% of the time, or your email starts to get permanently
rejected and you get removed from mailing lists.  All without you
having any idea that it's happening.

Details:

Email is a store-and-forward mechanism that tolerates lots of
glitches and temporary outages.  When A sends email to B, the
email goes first from the mail client to the mail server used by that
client.  That's typically synchronous, so if it fails, the user sees an
error and can re-try later.

After that, it's all asynchronous via store-and-forward.  The 1st
mail server has a temporarily stored copy of the email and tries to
forward it to the destination mail server, or to an intermediate
server that will do so.  (There used to be lots of servers involved as
the mail was passed along until it finally reached the destination
server, but these days, it's usually just one hop.)  So the 1st server
attempts to connect to the next server, and typically succeeds,
deletes it's local copy, and we're all done.

But sometimes, one of the server is temporarily down, or has an
error, or rejects the email temporarily, or whatever.  In that case,
the previous server keeps it's local copy and tries again later,
typically once an hour or so for typically 4 hours.  After that, it
typically sends a "bounce" message back to the original sender,
saying that it's having trouble and will keep trying for typically 5
days.  After 5 days of failing, it typically sends another bounce
message to the original sender, saying it's is giving up and the
email will not be delivered.  (I say "typically" because these
values and behaviors are all configurable on each mail server.)

That works great, despite glitches, short-term outages, etc.
Almost all mail eventually gets through if it's addressed
correctly (and not filtered as spam, which is a whole separate
issue).

BUT...

It all fails if the DNS server is down.  In that case, the 1st mail
server tries to look up the MX (mail exchange) record of the
recipient's domain, fails because the DNS server is down, and
immediately gives up.  No point in re-trying to connect to the
target server if it can't even find out the IP address of that target
server.  So, it immediately sends the final bounce message to
the sender.

That's a problem for 2 reasons:
- The sender may be a person, who may or may not notice the
   bounce message, may or may not realize the mail didn't get
   through, and may or may not try again later or via a different
   channel (phone, text, social media, etc.)
- More importantly, mail list software is typically configured to
   ignore the 4-hour bounce messages, knowing that the mail
   will probably get through later.  But to react to the final
   5-day bounce by REMOVING the recipient from the mailing
   list PERMANENTLY.  Same for any other automated emailers,
   like notifications from your banks, from social media, etc.

So, if you have a less than 100%-reliable server or Internet
connection, it's fine to run your own mail server, but I strongly
recommend against running your own DNS server.

I finally stopped doing so, years ago, because the Internet
connection to my house was unreliable.  Now that my servers
are hosted at AWS I could resume, but why bother?  DNS is a
truly mission critical service.  And I do still re-boot my servers
occasionally, which would cause brief outages.

Hope this helps...

--Fred
Fred Stluka -- http://bristle.com -- Glad to be of service!
Open Source: Without walls and fences, we need no Windows or Gates.