Walt Mankowski via plug on 20 Mar 2021 17:57:07 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Windows driver for ext2/ext3

On Sat, Mar 20, 2021 at 08:31:57PM -0400, brent saner via plug wrote:
> If you have Insiders (beta-testing) enabled, it's a single command.

I don't. I had no desire or need to be a Microsoft beta tester when I
set it up. Chances are Eric's wife doesn't either, but I suppose it's
possible.

> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-win10#simplified-installation-for-windows-insiders
>
> Otherwise it's 4 commands or so. I don't recall anything about going into
> the Control Panel (or whatever MS calls it these days).

That's the page I used. I count 6 steps if you use the manual
process. You're correct that it's not Control Panel (though I may have
checked there when it wasn't working in the first VM I tried). Instead
it's several complex Power Shell commands.

> Some other suggestions that were actually presented earlier in the thread,
> such as:
>
> - Setting up a NAS
> - Configuring Samba

I've never setup a NAS, but setting up a Samba share from Linux is
considerable easier than setting up WSL2. Formatting a flash drive as
exFAT is even easier!

> Installing WSL2 also allows you access to portable-media-optimized
> filesystems, *and* (at least) read access to all macOS filesystems as well.

Nice, I suppose, but Eric didn't mention that he or his wife were
interested in any of that. I believe they'd also only be able to
access them from within WSL2, which would limit its usefulness.

Walt