brent saner via plug on 20 Mar 2021 18:33:45 -0700
[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]
Re: [PLUG] Windows driver for ext2/ext3
- From: brent saner via plug <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- To: Walt Mankowski <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: [PLUG] Windows driver for ext2/ext3
- Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2021 21:32:56 -0400
- Cc: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:references:in-reply-to:from:date:message-id:subject:to :cc; bh=jCjQIH9rRQm9gB15/+AfFz/TbBoHAiBRgNLe5KxJo2s=; b=n3sKEoTsumv4K1ds5iHuPFto3LlcA17dFDxGz6NrBFsVDjYhXEY7/tUvFC5pp5eIH6 PD1lTpSSwR9yXBE12Hodashmk/fGz6p9FEPJpj+tKzew1sfIJoFMILMincH240WYM7xC UyjXMRFqqpCsI+1t3L0Xrl357FUqOPm0I4NmP60ZeUsiz/1j0dSs4HRX4TUuFJbEQnqg mrSicDIuo1jlk/Hgi1DglwIb3J0ztsOW4q0oWVB7+eFC2SW5v5yDYul8MDJx2HC781ky LxhXnc0uU5ANF7VLPTEZl4alWncrnQbAiJBtFUANE/zYjtciZjtvbEhGvwspFN8lQdgq 6Nkg==
- Reply-to: brent saner <email@example.com>
- Sender: "plug" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
On Sat, Mar 20, 2021 at 08:31:57PM -0400, brent saner via plug wrote:
> If you have Insiders (beta-testing) enabled, it's a single command.
I don't. I had no desire or need to be a Microsoft beta tester when I
set it up. Chances are Eric's wife doesn't either, but I suppose it's
> Otherwise it's 4 commands or so. I don't recall anything about going into
> the Control Panel (or whatever MS calls it these days).
That's the page I used. I count 6 steps if you use the manual
process. You're correct that it's not Control Panel (though I may have
checked there when it wasn't working in the first VM I tried). Instead
it's several complex Power Shell commands.
Oh, you don't like Powershell commands? They're just copypasta, but fair enough.
No typing required. This method *does* require modifying the Settings, but there's screenshots,
> Some other suggestions that were actually presented earlier in the thread,
> such as:
> - Setting up a NAS
> - Configuring Samba
I've never setup a NAS, but setting up a Samba share from Linux is
considerable easier than setting up WSL2. Formatting a flash drive as
exFAT is even easier!
This is... not true, on the Samba point. Not everyone is using some Ubuntu derivative where shares and hooks in the file explorer shortcuts pre-exist at installtime of the OS.
As for exFAT, it suffers extreme performance degradation the more files are on a filesystem, it doesn't support TRIM on nix-like last I checked, and you *absolutely* want journaling on a removable disk, otherwise you're left with artifact objects over time which you won't be able to fix without reformatting the thing.
... I believe they'd also only be able to
access them from within WSL2, which would limit its usefulness.
What? No, this is also incorrect.
You can either copy them to the host within WSL:
Or access the WSL's / from the host:
Philadelphia Linux Users Group -- http://www.phillylinux.org
Announcements - http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-announce
General Discussion -- http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug