Fred Stluka via plug on 24 Mar 2021 14:01:04 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Web Ass Pfirewall

+1 for "block everything and only allow what needs to get in."

That's really easy to do on an AWS server.  The AWS Web console
allows you to add/remove IP addresses on the fly.  So, you can
set it up initially to allow SSH only from the work and home
addresses of your team, but can easily add an additional IP
address temporarily when any of you need it.  Without needing
a way to get in to the server to update its iptables rules.

It also makes sense to block all access to your DB server except
from your web server, and various other combinations.

IPSET sounds useful.  One more thing to add to my bag of tricks.
Thanks!

AWS "security groups" provide some of the features of IPSET.
For example, you once you've defined named groups of servers
like "WebServers" and "DbServers", you can grant access from all
WebServers to port 3306 (MySQL/MariaDB) or 5432 (PostgreSQL)
on all DbServers, without having to list the IP addresses.

--Fred
Fred Stluka -- http://bristle.com -- Glad to be of service!
Open Source: Without walls and fences, we need no Windows or Gates.