Steve Litt via plug on 4 Jun 2021 12:18:14 -0700

Re: [PLUG] System unbootable after Kubuntu 20.04 update and reboot

Eric Lucas via plug said on Thu, 3 Jun 2021 17:19:53 -0400

>Today I ran apt-get dist-upgrade and it upgraded the system including
>some nvidia drivers.
>It requested a reboot and when I rebooted it very quickly came to a
>black screen with a single underline cursor in the top left corner.
>There is no GUI. There are no virtual consoles. Zero response to any
>inputs.
>
>I booted it with a Kubuntu 21.04 live USB image. That's where I am at
>this moment.
>
>I'm guessing I'll need to roll back the Nvidia update and/or rebuild
>something in grub.
>
>I am not familiar with debugging and repairing a linux system at this
>level.
>Can anyone please point me to a good guide or guides?
>
>Also, there is something for Ubuntu called "Boot Repair" - it's one of
>the first suggestions on many pages.
>For example see this post:
>https://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair/home/Home/
>
>Here is the home page:
>https://askubuntu.com/questions/1243134/black-screen-on-startup-ubuntu-20-04
>
>Here's how they say to get it:
>sudo apt-add-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair
>sudo apt update
>sudo apt install -y boot-repair
>boot-repair
>
>Does anyone have experience with or advice about this?
>It seems too simple and there is no clear author information so I'm
>suspicious.
>
>Thanks!
>Eric Lucas

I'd like you to try an experiment.

Next time you boot to that black screen with a cursor, press
Ctrl+Alt+F2 and then Ctrl+Alt+F3. I suspect one of those two will give
you a CLI (non-gui) command prompt at which you can log in and run
commands. If that is indeed true, then from the command prompt you can
log in as root or sudo to root or whatever, and roll back your update in
order to retrieve your working system.

SteveT

Steve Litt