JP Vossen via plug on 7 Oct 2022 14:12:57 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Firefox 105 is unusable for me

On 10/7/22 15:35, jeffv via plug wrote:
On 10/7/22 14:54, JP Vossen via plug wrote:
That's an interesting point.  I shouldn't have to do that, and I didn't used to.

+1
have you tried Pale Moon or Waterfox?

Nope.

Don't delete the directories and profiles.ini, move them, just in case you find your
new, faster Firefox lacks what you need.
I haven't tried, but it might be easier still to `mv ~/.mozilla/firefox ~/.mozilla/firefox.BAD`.
Extensions, changes in about:config ?

Nope, but see other reply about: about:about.  (Sigh.  It must be Friday.)

And history, passwords (for sites I don't care

Private tabs and Cookie AutoDelete will take care of history on the front end. Not saving passwords and Keepass will take care of the other.

There is history I want to keep, mostly for $WORK stuff.  I get the privacy and other issues, but there are just too many balls in the so air it's really handy to be able to just start typing stuff in the FF >Address bar and have it show me the tabs and/or previous sites and/or queries related to that.  I have different settings and priorities for home.  And KeePass (and all its flavors) are great and where anything important is.

To add more confusion, FF 105 is behaving at $WORK now.

Any significant differences in the installs?

Not that I know of, but that's why I'd prefer to be able to revert to `firefox-104.0.1+linuxmint1+una`.

Have you checked out FF helpdesk? There are probably others in this boat.

Via Google, and half-assedly yes.  No hits so far but not a lot of time spent either.

Have you tried swapping regular old FF for (snap?) or the other way?

Nope.  Again, would rather apples-to-apples it with `firefox-104.0.1+linuxmint1+una`.  I really dislike what Ubuntu did with the FF snap, and vastly prefer the "native" one that Mint went out of their way to do with Mozilla.  But I understand that this is a root cause of my failure-to-revert frustration.  Some days (most) you just can't win.

Later,
JP