Keith via plug on 21 Oct 2022 09:35:05 -0700

Re: [PLUG] [OT] SW radio question

On 10/20/22 20:36, Rich Freeman via plug wrote:
On Thu, Oct 20, 2022 at 7:16 PM Steve Litt via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
Keith C. Perry via plug said on Thu, 20 Oct 2022 17:36:40 -0400 (EDT)

If I can also throw out a recommendation for the hams among us, I
highly recommend the  MFJ-971 manual tuner, which requires NO POWER
(unless you want to backlight the screen and even then its very
littel).  You can't go wrong pairing this with a [QRP] transceiver to
work regionally (i.e. inside the skip zone) so you know what is going
on around you.
I can't help wondering: If the whole grid went down, so there are very
few operating transmitters in your area, with no wifi, microwaves and
the like, I wonder just how far 5 watts could go at 5 or 10Mhz on a
winter night. I don't think Marconi used much power to transmit static
clicks across the Atlantic.

<choppity chop>

(BTW, none of this is to discourage anybody from prepping or exploring
the hobby or whatever.  I'm just trying to dispel the notion that two
people can have 5W QRP rigs 100 miles apart and be guaranteed to hear
each other because somebody was talking about that contact they made
with Europe using FT8.)

Fair enough but if we're talking about voice comm, the US military used the AS-2259 antenna (that's the double inverted V looking antenna) with the PRC-47 (100W max) for RELIABLE NVIS communications starting back in the 1960s for the Vietnam War. Guaranteed and reliable aren't the same thing.  Words aside, the military would not have used this method of communication if it didn't "work".

I get your analogy but I think you're mixing apples and oranges. Less is more when things go wrong so even if could use a computer, most people aren't going to do FT8 to Europe when you can about talk to someone who could actually help them on the order miles or 10's of miles away.  That is why shortwave and even CB are being talked about so much these days (also a mix of apples and oranges).  People will eventually want to know about the rest of the world (SWLing and FT8) but the priority will be what is happening locally (local & regional amateur radio, CB probably even FRS and GMRS just because a LOT of people have those).  I see this exercise being more about the licensed and unlicensed crowd.

Most 1st world countries like the US are worried about high altitude nuclear attacks which will generate significant EMPs that we theorize will destroy or cripple modern satellite operations as well as our grid and many electric devices on the ground.  None of us wants to really find out how our preparations will go in this regard but as a practical matter, I think it makes more sense to have 2 or 3 HF transceivers and associated gear long before a computer is added to the mix.  5 watts is better than 0 watts but sure, I'd rather have more.  Something like Xiegu G90 or even the new Guohe Q900v3 has become more interesting to me because of their size/cost/feature mix.  I typically run 20W to 50W when I'm using my FT-857D since I've found that for local and regional work I really don't need more.  For reference, I once checked into the Tincan Sailers net on 20 meters with 50W.  I talked to two stations, one in San Antonio, TX and another somewhere in Florida.  I've also worked a NJ station and a NC station on 5W with the FT-817ND.  Both were contesting at the time.  HF is plenty reliable even at 5W  Other modes have value and are interesting but they are not going to be the primary mode of operation if/when the big one happens.  They'll be a lot of ears out there listening for other voice stations.

Also as a suggestion to those considering SWLing.  Don't be afraid to also get an HF ham radio.  It is more of an investment but it is perfectly legal to own one.  You just can't legally transmit, which is fine since most of the time you would be listening anyway.  Typically ham radios are also decent wideband receivers so you would be able to pick up many of those shortwave stations if you had a properly tuned antenna.  One of each would be fairly redundant for receiving.  Plus, if you find you want to get your license, you'll already have a rig to operate :D

--
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.