Rich Freeman via plug on 21 Oct 2022 10:31:54 -0700

Re: [PLUG] [OT] SW radio question

On Fri, Oct 21, 2022 at 12:34 PM Keith via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> Fair enough but if we're talking about voice comm

I don't think the email I replied to was actually specifically talking
about anything.  It certainly made no mention of voice comms.

NVIS is great, but you're not going to use it to talk across the
Atlantic, which was the only use case mentioned in the email I replied
to.

Until you define scenarios you can't really talk about whether a given
setup will address them or not.  I didn't intend to offer any
constructive solutions, because none were asked for.

I was just pointing out that a 5W QRP rig isn't some magical
communications bullet.  It has certain capabilities but you need to
think about what you want to use it for.  Just because people
sometimes use them to talk at long distances doesn't mean that you'll
be able to do so.  You can definitely have fun with them and should do
so if you want to.  They might even be useful in an emergency,
assuming you have the right antenna and somebody to talk to.

As far as WW3 goes, I'm not worried.  It isn't that I don't think it
could happen.  It is just that if nobody is going to be making new
CPUs for the next 30 years, I don't see what the point is in food or
water...  :)

--
Rich