Rich Freeman via plug on 24 Nov 2022 03:49:45 -0800

Re: [PLUG] In-person meetings

On Wed, Nov 23, 2022 at 9:15 PM JP Vossen via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> And maybe that's a good enough argument.  I guess we see what other folks have to say.

I had a conversation like this with Andy a few years ago and it is
apparent that people get very different things out of something like
PLUG.  I don't expect that my preferences are typical.

When I look for groups like this I'm mostly looking for people to get
to know in the area.  I'm in my house almost 24x7, so I don't really
need more things to do inside my house.  I attend online meetings all
the time, so I don't need more online meetings.  There are a gazillion
one hour videos on FOSS topics on Youtube, so I don't need a one hour
presentation on a random topic.  There are even tons of live groups
that meet online on various specific topics if I want to directly
interact with people who live a thousand miles away.  In a typical
PLUG meeting I'm there maybe 10% for the presentation, and mostly
because it is somebody I talk to regularly (which isn't to say that I
don't think these are good presentations - I often do learn from
them).

Of course, meeting in person is largely dependent on having a venue,
and I don't have one to offer, and I completely understand why
companies might be reluctant to offer theirs for a few more years.

As I said though, I don't expect that my preferences are typical, and
I don't expect others to cater to them.  Those hosting/organizing are
doing the heavy lifting, so I'll appreciate that regardless.

--
Rich