Steve Litt via plug on 25 Nov 2022 12:33:36 -0800

Re: [PLUG] In-person meetings

Rich Freeman via plug said on Thu, 24 Nov 2022 06:49:29 -0500

>On Wed, Nov 23, 2022 at 9:15 PM JP Vossen via plug
><plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
>>
>> And maybe that's a good enough argument.  I guess we see what other
>> folks have to say.
>
>I had a conversation like this with Andy a few years ago and it is
>apparent that people get very different things out of something like
>PLUG.  I don't expect that my preferences are typical.
>
>When I look for groups like this I'm mostly looking for people to get
>to know in the area.  I'm in my house almost 24x7, so I don't really
>need more things to do inside my house.  I attend online meetings all
>the time, so I don't need more online meetings.  There are a gazillion
>one hour videos on FOSS topics on Youtube, so I don't need a one hour
>presentation on a random topic.  There are even tons of live groups
>that meet online on various specific topics if I want to directly
>interact with people who live a thousand miles away.  In a typical
>PLUG meeting I'm there maybe 10% for the presentation, and mostly
>because it is somebody I talk to regularly (which isn't to say that I
>don't think these are good presentations - I often do learn from
>them).
>
>Of course, meeting in person is largely dependent on having a venue,
>and I don't have one to offer, and I completely understand why
>companies might be reluctant to offer theirs for a few more years.
>
>As I said though, I don't expect that my preferences are typical, and
>I don't expect others to cater to them.  Those hosting/organizing are
>doing the heavy lifting, so I'll appreciate that regardless.

Rich, I'm a big fan of online meetings because GoLUG meetings are
online and also because I'm able to go to online meetings worldwide.
That being said, every single point you bring up is accurate and
important. Going a step further, I have very fond memories of when
GoLUG meetings were face to face.

SteveT

Steve Litt