Rich Freeman via plug on 4 Dec 2022 13:51:42 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Tshooting

On Fri, Dec 2, 2022 at 12:53 PM Walt Mankowski via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 02, 2022 at 01:15:19AM -0500, Steve Litt via plug wrote:
>
> > https://www.wired.com/2012/06/torvalds-nvidia-linux/
>
> This was over a decade ago. I've been using nvidia on my home
> workstation for 6 years and my work workstation for 3. The only
> problem I've ever had is that I need to reboot when the driver gets
> updated. Aside from that the drivers have been rock solid.

Linus's complaint was mainly with their proprietary modules, and later
some of their workarounds for efforts to restrict kernel APIs to
GPL-only modules.  It is mostly a philosophical issue.

Of course they don't like it when users have issues and nobody can
troubleshoot them due to the source being closed, and of course the
fact that the FOSS drivers lack features because NVidia keeps secrets.
That and AMD actively contributes to the FOSS kernel drivers while
NVidia ignores the FOSS drivers.

If not gaming or using CUDA it is better IMO to just use the FOSS
kernel drivers for nvidia cards.  Those should be as reliable as
drivers for just about anything else.

If you need CUDA or full 3D support then you'll need to ensure you're
using a well-supported kernel version from NVidia's standpoint, and
the kernel maintainers will wash their hands of you.

This is all obviously a consideration if you're buying hardware for
linux use, but I think it is going a bit far to say that NVidia makes
junk.  All hardware fails eventually, and all hardware has defects on
rare occasion.  There are a million reasons to prefer AMD or Nvidia or
something else and there are a million good articles comparing them
for various use cases.

--
Rich