brent saner via plug on 4 Dec 2022 17:16:37 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Tshooting

On Sun, Dec 4, 2022, 19:54 Walt Mankowski via plug

> Oh never mind. The preceding device is five times heavier than a light
> laptop.

Still less cumbersome or impractical than dragging around a tower and monitor for some individuals, and doesn't require purchasing a new laptop every year (along with all that entails- data migration, application reinstallation, etc.) just to get improved graphic capabilities.

Additionally reduces wear/tear on discrete graphics, of which a failure is a much bigger deal than a modular-installed/external GPU. Especially for laptops.

> There are plenty of other external video cards, but I have no idea how
> Linux compatible they are.

I just watched the video. It sounds like you also need a laptop that
supports thunderbolt. Does Linux even support thunderbolt?

Yes; it's had in-kernel support for quite a bit now.

Specifically relevant,
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/External_GPU

I'm also not really seeing the logic of pairing a thin, portable 2.5
lb laptop with a big, honking 350 watt GPU enclosure, but I guess
gamers gotta game.

CAD, video editing/rendering, etc. There are a handful of professional applications that have no correlation with playing games but still benefit from higher-performing/multiple GPUs.