Steve Litt via plug on 4 Dec 2022 18:00:45 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Tshooting

Walt Mankowski via plug said on Sun, 4 Dec 2022 19:54:47 -0500

>On Sun, Dec 04, 2022 at 04:01:40PM -0500, Steve Litt via plug wrote:
>> Steve Litt via plug said on Sat, 3 Dec 2022 21:27:08 -0500
>>
>> >Walt Mankowski via plug said on Fri, 2 Dec 2022 12:53:27 -0500

>> >If worst comes to worst I'm thinking something like the following:
>> >
>> >https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/xconnect
>>
>> Oh never mind. The preceding device is five times heavier than a
>> light laptop.
>>
>> There are plenty of other external video cards, but I have no idea
>> how Linux compatible they are.
>
>I just watched the video. It sounds like you also need a laptop that
>supports thunderbolt. Does Linux even support thunderbolt?
>
>I'm also not really seeing the logic of pairing a thin, portable 2.5
>lb laptop with a big, honking 350 watt GPU enclosure

No logic at all to the gigantic video rig --- I didn't know it was that
big.

Worse yet, I was thinking in desktop terms, thinking something like the
following might make sense:

https://www.newegg.com/startech-com-usb32hdes/p/12-400-524

But that makes sense only if you have an external monitor, which once
again defeats the purpose of having a laptop.

So, given the many anecdotes of nVidia video cards causing intermittent
freezes and spontaneous reboots, I wouldn't buy a laptop with an nVidia
video card. Believe me, I tried with many combinations of free and
proprietary drivers, and the best I could get was a computer that
didn't freeze or reboot, but had video artifacts making reading small
text almost impossible.

SteveT

Steve Litt