Michael C. Toren on Thu, 3 Jul 2003 18:47:05 -0400

Re: [tcptra-dev] tcptraceroute test suite

> >The only plausible scenario I can
> >imagine is that libnet-1.1.1 on Solaris is constructing valid IP packets,
> >but with invalid TCP payloads.
>
> Good thinking. Indeed libnet-1.1.1 is producing invalid checksums in the
> tcp header. The attachment is the result of the test you suggested,
> captured with snoop. You can use ethereal or the like to analyze it.
>
> It seems to be a generic libnet-1.1.1 problem. I tried the tcp1 program
> from the samples directory, and it gives the same results..

Good to know!  Thanks for the report.  I now feel confident once again that
I can release tcptraceroute-1.5 shortly, even with this issue outstanding.

Long term, perhaps it would be best to avoid libnet entirely.

-mct