Mike Leone via plug on 27 May 2023 11:49:38 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Backing up Windows to Linux

On Sat, May 27, 2023 at 2:35 PM JP Vossen via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
On 5/26/23 06:03 PM, Mike Leone wrote:
> Well, my default command is this, I just edited it for the relevant bits of the post:
> RoboCopy %Source% %Destination%  /MIR /XA:SH /MT:20 /E /ZB /COPYALL /R:1 /W:1 /NS /NC /NP /NFL /NDL /LOG+:%LogFile%

I assume `/XA:SH` is System and Hidden?  Why omit those?

Don't need them. Usually I use this script when migrating a file server to a newer one. Used it more than a half dozen times that way. The plates versions of Windows have their Admin Center, where you can supposedly automate that type of migration, but I've never gotten it too work clearly, then again, I was trying it with coasters, so ...

Also, I just tried `/ZB` and it was a total fail, because my user doesn't have admin rights.

So just run it was a user who has such rights. 😁 The Windows equivalent of "sudo" is "runas". Although I usually just do it as a scheduled task, and specify the user it runs as, as one that has local admin rights.

The script doesn't *have* to run in the user's context, it just needs to be able to access the files it needs to.

--
"Well, it wasn't actually dreadful. It was mildly lamentable."