Steve Litt via plug on 27 Sep 2023 23:19:10 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Places to learn Linux and C around Philadelphia?

Frank via plug said on Wed, 27 Sep 2023 20:41:53 -0400

>Thanks for all of the advice and suggestions!
>
>To clarify a bit, I'm interesting in learning C and Linux together so
>I can work on open source Linux applications (or Linux itself).  So,
>I'm trying to learn both the gnarly details of C, but also how Linux
>is structured so I can program for it and in it (ie: I need to
>understand the different standard libraries, windowing systems, file
>systems, drivers, etc.).  And, since C and Linux are so intertwined,
>it made sense to tackle both at the same time.

Exactly. The C standard library has very understandable interfaces to
UNIX functions. UNIX was written in assembler in 1969, but two or three
years later it was rewritten in C, and like you said, as features were
added to UNIX, interfaces were added to C.

SteveT

Steve Litt

http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21