Lee Marzke on 10 Oct 2006 22:30:25 -0000

Re: Connecting to a Windows share

Jim,

Samba2 stores user encrypted passwords in a file called smbpasswd. That file is
written with the smbpasswd program, see the info below.

Samba 3 uses a database backend instead of the smbpasswd file, and uses smbpasswd,
net, and pdbedit commands.
See: http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/passdb.html

To add a new samba user in version 2, you do something like
smbpasswd -a newuser /etc/samba/smbpasswd

# smbpasswd -help When run by root: smbpasswd [options] [username] otherwise: smbpasswd [options]

 -L                   local mode (must be first option)
 -h                   print this usage message
 -s                   use stdin for password prompt
 -c smb.conf file     Use the given path to the smb.conf file
 -D LEVEL             debug level
 -r MACHINE           remote machine
 -U USER              remote username
extra options when run by root or in local mode:
 -a                   add user
 -d                   disable user
 -e                   enable user
 -i                   interdomain trust account
 -m                   machine trust account
 -n                   set no password
 -w PASSWORD          ldap admin password
 -x                   delete user
 -R ORDER             name resolve order

Lee Marzke

Jim DeCaro wrote:
I tried that, but I do not know the format.  I tried typing like a host
file, i.e.:

jim  <password>

Is there syntax involved in this? I used the GUI to open the file, type it
in, then saved the file. Still no luck.