Tom Lieber on 4 Nov 2005 15:31:25 -0000

Re: [PhillyOnRails] PhillyOnRails Wiki

On 11/4/05, Andrew Langman <alangman@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Speaking of tools, I spent some time looking at Trac
> (http://www.edgewall.com/trac/) which is what the Rails team uses to manage
> their development. It's a web front-end to Subversion, with an integrated wiki
> and ticketing system, written in Python.
>
> It's quite well done. And the fact that the Rails developers chose it is a real
> stamp of approval. We're evaluating other project management and source code
> control systems as well. The problem is that the only real way to evaluate
> something is to use it extensively. As with editors and other tools, I'm
> interested to hear what more experienced users are doing.

I don't know enough to say whether I'm 'more experienced' than anyone
else on the list, but I would like to say that I've been happy
programming my rails site in [JEdit][]. With the directory tree on the
left and the Ruby highlighting, the IDE is completed!

However, I just downloaded [RadRails][] and must say that the built-in
support for Rails (File > New > Controller), database management, and
WEBrick server management are calling for me to make a switch. I have
not used it extensively enough for a full review, though--just enough
to say that it's worth a look.

  [JEdit]: http://www.jedit.org/ "JEdit - Programmer's Text Editor"
  [RadRails]: http://www.radrails.org/ "RadRails - A Ruby on Rails IDE"

> Thanks everybody.