Erin Mulder on 4 Nov 2005 15:49:37 -0000

Re: [PhillyOnRails] PhillyOnRails Wiki

Andrew Langman wrote:
> Speaking of tools, I spent some time looking at Trac
> (http://www.edgewall.com/trac/) which is what the Rails team uses to manage
> their development. It's a web front-end to Subversion, with an integrated wiki
> and ticketing system, written in Python.
> I'm interested to hear what more experienced users are doing.

Personally, I'm a big fan of Atlassian products for corporate
development.  JIRA, the bug tracker, is excellent and has a lot of
really useful features (e.g. subtasks, linking, roadmaps, the ability to
select a bunch of bugs and perform bulk actions on them).

Confluence, the wiki, is really nice for corporate intranets and project
wikis.  It has a slick interface that is easy for business users to use,
it makes it really easy to export some or all of your wiki to attractive
HTML or PDF, it lets you separate things into distinct spaces and yet
still easily move things between them, search across them, etc.  Just a
lot of stuff that matters in a business environment that doesn't always
make as much difference for a user group or oss project.

You also get the source code with any paid license, and there are tons
of ways to extend/integrate it.

Cheers,
Erin

PS. My company can get discounts and do customization work, so feel free
to get in touch if you're interested in that.  We've loved using the
products and have recommended them often enough that we decided to
become a partner.