Cassius Rosenthal on 13 Mar 2007 01:40:03 -0000

[PhillyOnRails] RPM update disappears gems

I ran into a terrible problem with one of my Rails stacks this past weekend. This probably only affects RPM-based Linux distributions, perhaps only Fedora. I've posted in Fedora blogs, but since this isn't a Rails bug per se, many of you using Linux may not hear about it elsewhere.

The box in question: FedoraCore 5 on an AMD x86_64. I updated my OS using `yum update` and on reboot it appeared as though all of my gems had disappeared, rendering all of my Rails apps useless until I reinstalled all gems. Fortunately for me, this was on a workstation. Obviously this could have been *really* bad on a live server.

The problem: ruby lived in /usr/lib64/ruby. As is common, 32-bit libraries are kept in parallel directories for my Linux x86_64 install. For reasons that I don't understand, the yum update switched to the 32-bit libraries, so now ruby lives in /usr/lib/ruby. I had to reinstall all gems so that they could be found in the library path.

If anyone has any similar experiences, I'd like to know. This was a very unpleasant surprise.

And on another subject, installing RMagick is a terrible experience on Fedora Core 5, 6, and CentOS.

(^_^)

Thanks!
-Cassius