David Bogus on 6 Dec 2007 17:34:08 -0000

Re: [PhillyOnRails] Agile management web app?

  • From: "David Bogus" <davidbogus@gmail.com>
  • To: talk@phillyonrails.org
  • Subject: Re: [PhillyOnRails] Agile management web app?
  • Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 12:33:50 -0500
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=zwyzOURtFkOPpBgHYXq5In8Mzo995fhdW4FqYOwIjWs=; b=Bzw5TPEoUxGKUP4AxZ5E+fMHBy9Rp6FawumBwk2nesDEt5wmazLHSQXzus+OJkjHn8Q/nvgojWD9sG9JHw7V+XqTPdoDHQI1VKq7nvxOqmYRWQNjIP53ONqXMgGk3O0OGMdhew0Nzy32ApoXyf2qdyRkk7BbnMXNXaKcew2kNeM=
  • Sender: talk-bounces@phillyonrails.org

> I think a common pain is when the members of the software development
> team are not in the same room.

I'm of the opinion that this is a very significant pain, that has a
large cost in productivity. In general I try and avoid having teams
that are distributed.  In many cases having even every developer in
the same room, or building isn't possible.

In this case the root problem is how do you communicate to the others.
I've found that management applications don't tend to help me
communicate. Rather they do not provide a good value for effort when
used as a communication tool.

I find that when working with others in a distributed fashion, that
you get a huge return investing small amount of time in being in the
same room.  So often I try to arrange it so that  face time happens
regularly between developers.

--
Dave's Definitions: Morning, is after I've slept for more than four
hours. Lunch is the second meal of the day no matter the hour of