David A. Black on 7 Jan 2008 06:34:01 -0800

Re: [PhillyOnRails] Hey, list... Wake up!

Hi --

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008, Flinn Mueller wrote:

On Jan 6, 2008, at 7:59 PM, Toby DiPasquale wrote:
Here's an interesting fact I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else:
Zed's the #1 most popular person on Working with Rails (above DHH,
even) and can't make any money at it, yet the 50 people under him are
all doing just fine. How could his problems not be due to his problems
with working with people?

Toby if he can't work with people why is he #1 on WWR ;-)

Mainly because of this:

http://www.zedshaw.com/blog/2006-12-25.html

My understanding (though I never talked with Zed about it directly)
was that he found the whole thing (workingwithrails.com) silly and
capricious, and decided to prove that was so by demonstrating that he
could campaign for recommendations and get them. Sure enough, he did.
Presumably he would have had quite a few anyway, but I believe that's
the genesis of his being #1.

Meanwhile, to answer Toby's original question: Hiding? Who's hiding?
:-) I'm around... nearly done revising my Intro to Rails courseware to
be 2.0-compliant, and starting work on a kind of second incarnation of
"Ruby for Rails" -- not a second edition, exactly, but a reworking of
it to be a "just Ruby" book, for Ruby 1.9.

<adv>I've got some Rails courses coming up in NYC -- see sig, below.
If you're not a candidate yourself, please consider recommending the
training to colleagues and friends who might be.</adv>

David

--
Training for 2008!
Ruby on Rails training by David A. Black/Ruby Power and Light, LLC: