David . E . Edwards on Wed, 20 Jan 1999 01:14:37 -0500 (EST)

Slackware and StarOffice

Apologies for not replying to original post, but it got deleted :-(
Anyway, Tonight, I paid a visit to MicroCenter in St. David's for some
printer supplies, and as is my wont, I browsed the budget CD section (there
is normally quite a selection of Linux/FreeBSD/Walnut Creek CD's there.
Well, I picked up a StarOffice 4.0/OpenLinux CD set (because I'm to
impatient to download SO off the 'net) - last one there as far as I could
see.
Then I got home and saw the original message posted to this list.
Sooo, I decided to try and load SO onto my Slackware 3.4 system.
It was a SIMPLE install (BIG, but simple - no RPMS, no tarballs.  In fact it
was so much like a WINxx install to be impressive - had to be done in X).
brought up soffice - and I was impressed - very nice presentation, but BIG.
Anyway, apart from this app. identifying that my swapspace was not loaded
(which I quickly corrected by doing a mkswap/addswap - I don't know why this
didn't happen when I installed Slackware), it performed quite nicely.
Created a 300+ page document, and movement through the document was fast and
clean.  Also did a global search and replace (2 word block) which took a few
seconds, but no lockups.  HTML page creation looks clean, with some nice
wizards for the dummys like me.  Everything is integrated, file manager,
email, spreadsheet, Word processor, Browser etc. (no newsreader, though??)
All in all, it looks like a real nice total office package - and for the
price of a couple of CD's - excellent value.  Much better than vs 3.1!!
It works with 32meg,  It'll work better with 64meg.
Dave E.
dedwards@technologist.com