LeRoy D. Cressy on Wed, 20 Jan 1999 23:15:32 -0500 (EST)

Re: Ever read a Crashed Windows 95 disk in Linux?

Ben Dugan wrote:

> I have a crashed Windows 95 disk that has some data on it that I'd
> rather not just lose.  The outlook is not good at this point, though,
> since (1) the drive sounds awful when it runs, and (2) I can't even
> mount it using the Linux mount command (as either msdos or vfat-- I
> think its should be vfat).  I get the message:
>
>  mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdb1,
>        or too many mounted file systems

Hi Ben,

Have you tried a cold boot.  It could be that the disk is in the process
of total collapse, but might work for a short period of time to rescue
the lost data.  I had a disk that the bearings went and I was able to
get it going long enough from the power surge of the cold boot to get
the important directories off of the disk.

Also there is a scsi disk utility containing:

scsi-config, scsiformat, scsidev, and scsiinfo

These might also help.  Also there is the mc (midnight commander)
utility formatted after the Norton Commander program.

Hope that this helps

LeRoy
--
          0 0      L & R Associates
           "       Home Page:    http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc/

LeRoy D. Cressy     	 /\_/\		ldc@netaxs.com
Computer Consulting 	( o.o )		Phone (215) 535-4037