Ben Dugan on Wed, 20 Jan 1999 20:56:36 -0500 (EST)

Ever read a Crashed Windows 95 disk in Linux?

I have a crashed Windows 95 disk that has some data on it that I'd
rather not just lose.  The outlook is not good at this point, though,
since (1) the drive sounds awful when it runs, and (2) I can't even
mount it using the Linux mount command (as either msdos or vfat-- I
think its should be vfat).  I get the message:

 mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdb1,
       or too many mounted file systems

I strongly suspect its the 'bad superblock' because the original
symptom was an inability to boot (Win95), and I've tried both msdos and
vfat, and there's only one other device mounted.

So I just thought I'd ask if any of the PLUG gang have tricks that
might help.

I realize it might make sense to approach this with a Windows 95
system, but (a) I don't have one and (b) I am more comfortable trying
low-level things with Linux.

Thanks for any tips!

Ben Dugan