LeRoy D. Cressy on Sat, 30 Jan 1999 12:55:27 -0500 (EST)

Re: win98&linux

Hi All,

Setting up a dual boot,

First when setting up your partitions make the Linux root partition as
the active partition.  There should only be one active partition which
is the boot partition.  Important:  You can only have one active
partition.

Next, configure your /etc/lilo.conf file as follows:

boot=/dev/hda4    	# Active boot partition
root=/dev/hda4    	# Root Partition
compact           	# How Lilo provides optimization
install=/boot/boot.b  	# Install the specified file as the new boot
sector
map=/boot/System.map-2.2.0-pre9  The system map file generated when you
compile the kernel
vga=normal		# 80x24 display
delay=200		# Sets the amount of time before the first operating system
is booted.  200 = 20 seconds
#
prompt             	# Waits until you select an operating system

# -------------------------------------------------------------------
#           		System Choices

image=/vmlinuz
label=Linux
read-only

image=/vmlinuz.old
label=Linux-old
read-only

other=/dev/hda3
label=dos
table=/dev/hda

Hope that this helps

LeRoy

Pham Long Trung Duy wrote:

> > > Right now it boots into Win98 and I use a floppy to boot Linux.
> > > How can I change this so that I can dual boot using Lilo?
> >
> > RTFM?
> >
> > http://www.linuxhq.com/HOWTO/mini/LILO.html
> > http://www.linuxhq.com/HOWTO/mini/Linux+Win95.html
> > http://www.linuxhq.com/HOWTO/mini/Loadlin+Win95.html
> > http://www.linuxhq.com/HOWTO/mini/Linux+DOS+Win95+OS2.html
>
> If I could help you save a little time digging out all the docs:
>
> edit the /etc/lilo.conf  so that your DOS (windows) section is listed BEFORE
> the linux section.  Then run /sbin/lilo to update with the new lilo.conf file.
> Then reboot.
>
> As you boot into linux with floppy, I don't know if you need to reinstall
> lilo.  And YES, you CAN install lilo on MBR.  That's the way I have it on my
> computer now.
>
> Assuming we are talking Redhat... ;)
>
> duy
>
> --

          0 0      L & R Associates
           "       Home Page:    http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc/

LeRoy D. Cressy     	 /\_/\		ldc@netaxs.com
Computer Consulting 	( o.o )		Phone (215) 535-4037