LeRoy D. Cressy on Tue, 1 Jun 1999 16:21:08 -0400 (EDT)

Re: Simple Question...

Hi Tim,

First off a cdrom is an iso9660 filesystem and not a fat or vfat fs.  So
mount the cdrom with:

mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt

/dev/cdrom can be /dev/hdb or wherever your cdrom is located on your
system.

after the cd is mounted look around the files for where the serial
number might be.

Timothy Peeler wrote:

> ...should have a simple answer...  How would I go about extracting
> the serial number from an msdos/fat/vfat cdrom?  The reason I'm
> asking is that I've been wanting to play my mercenaries under wine
> for the LONGEST time now.  And only recently has wine become stable
> enough to even get past the installation.  Now when trying to run
> the game it says I need to put the mercenaries cd in.  The only
> thing I don't have in my wine.conf file is Serial=xxxxxx.  The
> wine documentation is nice about cd-rom information, they even
> give example code to extract the info.  Too bad it'll only compile
> on win32 (won't compile with wine includes, no stub or anything
> for GetVolumeInformationA()).  I'm pretty sure I've seen a native
> linux program for extracting this info, but for the life of me I've
> not been able to find it anywhere.  Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Tim
>
> Ps. Code would be wonderful!!!
>
> --

          0 0      L & R Associates
           "       Home Page:    http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc/

LeRoy D. Cressy     	 /\_/\		ldc@netaxs.com
Computer Consulting 	( o.o )		Phone (215) 535-4037