David Edwards on Fri, 23 Jul 1999 19:44:42 -0400 (EDT)

[Plug] RedHat

Well, I decided to upgrade from my 2.0.3x linux system to a more current
2.2.x kernel.
I wanted to try Caldera 2.2, but MicroCenter tried to gyp me on the price,
so I saw the Infomagic Developers Resource Kit (6CD's - 4Distro's) for
$18+.
Seeing as how this Kit was how I started in Linux nearly 3 years ago, I
jumped on the chance.
I loaded Caldera 2.2 - nice information panels during installation, (but no
LILO setup??).
So, next came Slackware 4.0 - still the nice easy install, and KDE as
default. Nice, but I wanted to work not play. So tried Caldera again, but
it had some REAL difficulty recognising my partitions after my recent play
time.
SO, (now I had tried RH before - 4.2 - and was not very impressed) - RedHat
6.0 was my next choice (Having used SuSE for a while, I wanted a change!!).
Well!!! - I must say, I am impressed.  Nice install - I like the GNOME and
Enlightenment mix - verrrrrry nice - Both have come a long way since I last
saw them.
Now, all I have to do is config PPP, sound, mail, news etc. and remove all
of the fvwm etc stuff that comes with a default install.
Looks like GNOME has all I need - and more.
Installed LILO on the partition, and voila - entry on my OS/2 boot manager
menu works. Yeh!!
Think I'll stay with RH for a while.
Dave E.
dedwards@technologist.com