Mental on Tue, 14 Dec 1999 21:23:32 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] CD Burner

On Tue, Dec 14, 1999 at 09:17:53PM -0500, Michael Leone wrote:
> > > Exactly. It sorta sucked for me, tho (I have an HP IDE
> > burner). While I
> > > could get it work burning CDs (via the SCSI emulation), I
> > could never get it
> > > to play music CDs via the emulation. Finally I said screw
> > it, and I just
> > > burn CDs under NT4.
> >
> > Really? Weird. I'll have to try it. If I get it working, I'll
> > let ya know.
> > As long as /dev/cdrom is a symlink to the right device file,
> > it should work...
> > What were your command line options for cdrecord, and where
> > did /dev/cdrom point?
>
> I was using xroast (also myst) under X. Not via commandline.
>
> I could RECORD audio fine (I would copy the files to that partition that
> xroast forces you to make, and then transfer them to the CD). Just couldn't
> play them.
>
> /dev/cdrom (I believe) pointed to the right place, since I could read data
> CDs, and write them properly.

I think that may have been the problem. I'm thinking you should have /dev/cdrom
be a symlink to the 'old' device file (/dev/hdc) and specify dev=1,0 or
whatever when you burn cd's. Its sorta like normal scsi. With normal scsi, my
/dev/cdrom is a symlink to /dev/scd1. When I listen to cd's the player uses
that device. But... when I burn disks it uses /dev/sgc or whatever the scsi
generic device is. I do believe that may have been your problem.

Did that make any sense?

Mental
--

"you make insanity respectable."