DrexelDG on Thu, 29 Jun 2000 09:30:25 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] T1 Connections..

In a message dated 6/28/00 1:02:02 PM Pacific Daylight Time, bj@netaxs.com
writes:

<< n Wed, 28 Jun 2000 DrexelDG@aol.com wrote:

 >    We are a small business.. and are wondering if it is a viable option to
 >get a T1.  I have heard it can replace your phone line... and serveral of
 >them.  Example.. we have 10 lines coming in, and I was informed today that
 >T1 can replace all of them.  Now that makes sense.... do the rates go up
for
 >it when that happens?  Is there a bill based on how many calls you do?
What
 >about long distance calls?

 Leased lines work a little differently than regular phone lines.

 You pay the phone company (who most people get their leased lines from,
 although with deregulation you can get lines from other companies such
 as PECO/Hyperion) based on the mileage from your place to their CO
 (central office), and from the CO to your ISP.  All that Bell (or
 whoever, but I'll stick to saying Bell for the sake of clarity and
 simplicity) does is provide you with a pipe to the ISP, who then
 provides your actual internet service.

 When you order a T-1, Bell, after a (usually seemingly
 interminable) period of time, runs "dry copper" (just a copper
 twisted-pair wire, with no other services on it) to your place of
 business.  They then connect to the ISP (how they do it depends on the
 type of T-1 you get).  Bell will charge you for the line, and the ISP
 charges you for the bandwidth.

 The main types of T-1 are Point-to-Point (PtP) and frame relay.  The
 main differences are a PtP pretty much directly connects you to your
 ISP, while the other two connect you through various "clouds" of lines
 (think: I get a web page from your company web server; the connection is
 established across the internet, which is represented by a cloud, most
 of the time, in diagrams).  The latter is less expensive, but the former
 has lower latency (although they both have the same bandwidth).

 T-1s come with a fixed charge per month, and you cannot make voice calls
 over them (unless you do something like Voice over IP); it's just a data
 connection.

 >We only have a hand full of CPUs so we really dont need all that much
speed..
 >but we would, like just about everyone else, be intrested in saving money.

 Well, a T-1 could certainly replace all 10 data lines.  Assuming you
 have 56K modems, that's 560Kb/s total bandwidth you have right now.  A
 full T-1 provides ~1.5Mb/s, or roughly 3 times what you have now.  And
 you still need voice lines.

 As far as cost savings, you won't see any.  Assuming you pay
 $100/month/phone line (on the high side) for basic service, not counting
 long distance, that's a total of $1,000/month.  A T-1 will cost around
 1.5-2 times that much, depnding on who you go with and whether you get a
 PtP, FR, or SMDS (Frame Relay tends to be cheapest).  You can also get a
 "fractional T-1" for less money, but you pay the same amount to Bell.
 The provider charges less because you don't use as much bandwidth, but
 it's not significant.

 If it's cost savings you want, go with DSL.  ADSL is the cheapest,
 running less than $100/month for ~1.5Mb/s download speeds (but I believe
 this is residential).  Commercial SDSL (which provides the same speed
 upstream as well as down) should be around $100-$200/month for the
 lowest speeds, which would provide you with some savings.  Part of what
 you're paying for, though, with a T-1 is the guaranteed response time if
 there are problems with your circuit; generally, it's a guaranteed
 dispatch within 4 hours if the problems persist.  Compare that with DSL,
 where the attitude seems to be "we'll get around to it if we feel like
 it".  :)  (My fiancee's DSL was down for a week shortly after she got
 it, and it was like, "Well, we're sorry, there's not a whole lot we can
 do.  Our T-3 into the area is down. (!)")

 >Any information would be helpful.  Thanks

 Hope I was of some help.

 Bill >>

Eh... you and some other people are confusing me.  THe only reason we wanted
ot go with a T-1 over a DSL is we heard there is a way to use the T-1 and be
able to run some phone lines off of it.  Meaning we can use the T1 and the
phone lines at the same time, and they would be handled under the same bill.
Is there any truth to this?  When I posted this to another list i got this
response.....

>Actually, you CAN run voice and data over the same circuit. Vina=20
Technologies has been supporting this for years.  Basically you run a PRI=20
from the end location to a DMS-500, and set aside so many channels for=20
voice, and so many channels for a Frame Relay PVC to an ISP.  As is normal=
=20
in a PRI environment, one channel will need to be set aside for signalling=
=20
and control.

Perry

now does the mean that we CAN in fact do what I was talking about... I am not
concerned so much with a debate over wheater a t 1 or  a T 3 is better or if
I am a fool for asking this  :)  I just want to know if it is possible to run
the internet connection and the phones lines under the same bill..  Sorry for
the rude tone... but people are flamming me and I dont like it  :)

Anthony