Beldon Dominello on Mon, 4 Sep 2000 18:14:28 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Linux DSL

"Inkdog.com Staff" wrote:

> Hello list!
>
> I have had Bellatlantic DSL for some time.  They are complete crap, both in
> terms of the outages and the lack of custumor service.  Can anyone recommond
> to me a Linux friendly ISP in Delware county, that could just come out to my
> house and swtich the loop back to them and NOT Ma Bell.  I think there was a
> gentlemen on here before who said that there was a company in the area that
> can do this, DCA Net or something?  I cannot remember.  :)
>
> Feel free to email me off list
>
> In any case I would like to do this ASAP.  And I assume that I can change
> the MAC address that my IP addy is bound to under a normal ISP?  Thanks all!
>
> Anthony

Well, I've been with Speakeasy for three months now and haven't had any
unannounced outages.  And even the announced outages were handled very well--
lots of notice sent to both my se-mails and (an added bonus) they listed
exactly what the tehnical problems were and how they were resolved (naming
vendor names and all).  I think that's way cool!  They have an ADSL line for
49.95 (they call "Essential Edge") which is a 608/128 DL/UL with one dynamic
IP, one POP, and one Linux shell.  For $10 more ("Essential Edge Plus", you get
2 static IPs and 2 POPs (as well as the Linux shell [telnet or ssh]).  I have
the "Net expert Plus) which is the same as "Essential Edge Plus", except that
it's 1.5M/384 DL/UL speed.  Very cool!

Rates for Philly are here:

http://www.speakeasy.net/dsl/prices-r2b.cgi?m=PHL

I also know that DCA is very popular in this group and they have the added
advantage of being local (Speakeasy are in Seattle), but I hadn't heard of them
and had already gone with Speakeasy.

--
For translation, see http://www.kluge.net/ungeek.html