Kevin Brosius on Wed, 13 Sep 2000 17:03:51 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Wireless internet

Are you concerned about price and/or speed?  The basic stuff mentioned
already isn't that cheap or fast, but it's the most readily available.
Also, while coverage isn't as widespread, the GSM networks in the US
support data.  Local provider is Omnipoint/Voicestream (just bought out
Omnipoint).  If you are getting a new phone and want data access,
there're a couple available with built in data capability.  The Ericson
i888 world phone and the Motorola L2000/L7089 (timeport) have data
capability and IrDA ports.  Kind of neat if you have an IrDA capable
laptop, just enable data on the phone, set it down next to the laptop
and initiate your data connection on the laptop.  Works on Linux to.

At the moment, I'm not sure if Voicestream will honor the previous data
pricing from Omnipoint.  The VS website prices data connectivity at
~$50/mo for 120min.  That's data only access from what I can tell,
charged as a separate item from voice calls.

Of course, if you want free minutes and it's personal use you could
always get a HAM license.  I think they've got some connectivity
available.  And then there are some pricier solutions available outside
the cellular world.

Kevin