Mike Leone on Sun, 5 Nov 2000 13:07:48 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] please vote

> On Sun, Nov 05, 2000 at 09:41:04AM -0500, Jeff Dean wrote:
> > At 10:42 PM 11/4/00 -0500, you wrote:
> >
> > >What do people on this list feel about the recent "revelation" regarding
> > >Bush?  Does anybody really care?  I know I don't.  It happened 24 years ago.
> > >And, the man hasn't had a drink in 14 years.
> >
> > So Clinton lies about a little backroom sex and he's impeached, but Bush
> > lies about DUI and he's to be congratulated and elected?  What happened to
> > all of the talk about character?  It's a double standard.  Bush is
> > ethically no better than Clinton and his candidacy should go down in flames
> > as a result.
>
> The issue is completely different.  Clinton's "backroom" was the Oral
> Office, while GW was not even constitutionally qualified for President at
> the time.  Also, GW noted early in his campaign that he had made some
> indescretions early on, but did not go into details to protect his family,
> since he had not yet told his daughters about those instances (as is
> recommended by MADD among other groups). Clinton retained that he had done
> nothing wrong.

Well, Bill getting some on the side in the Oval Office has never put
anyone's life at risk, as a drunk driver does.

BTW ... was he CONVICTED of drunk driving? I mean, most presidents
become crooks AFTER office; GW would have a leg up!

> He also noted that he hasn't had anything to drink in n years.

And people who have addictions (drugs, alcohol) have NEVER been known to
backslide, especially under pressure.

> > That's right.  Poor GW.  It's in the past, right?  So what happens if he's
> > drunk at a presidential function?  What if the DUI had happened recently
> > and he'd been convicted and jailed?
>
> His drinking is obviously behind him.
>
> > Who cares how or when it was revealed?  It does appear to be convenient
> > timing, but it's a fact nonetheless.  Fortunately for Bush it was at a time
> > when society gave him a pat on the behind and a wink as he walked out the
> > door.  But if he was caught once, how many other times was he drinking and
> > driving?  How many moms/kids/students did he nearly hit while driving
> > drunk?  Why should we not care?  This event shows an immense lapse in
> > judgement on Bush's part, and it's a showstopper.  Perhaps he should be
> > impeached in Texas now as a liar and admitted drunk driver...
>
> Maybe Kennebunkport, ME should make some traffic lights.

THAT'S it. Traffic lights stop drunk drivers. Geez, why hasn't anyone
reasoned out this logic before? We could have saved so many lives!

> He said that he had done some stuff to this effect earlier, just never went
> into specifics for obvious reasons.  When confronted with it, he immediately
> admitted to it (which other candidates and presidents have not been able to
> do recently *coughdemocratscough*).  Maybe Gore should be impeached as a
> liar since he has outright done that in front of millions of people.  Or,
> then again, maybe not.

Lying isn't on campaign isn't illegal. Driving drunk is.

> > Vote Nader if:
> > - You want to waste your vote, or you want to vote for Bush and pretend you
> > didn't.  Say all you want about voting your conscience, but Nader's
> > credible candidacy is simply a distraction to a two-party reality.  A vote
> > for Nader, however much you want to stand for his ideals and those of the
> > Green party, is a vote for Bush.  Gore is far closer to Nader than a Bush
> > on issues that matter.  Check www.nadersraidersforgore.com on this one.
>
> How about if you want to vote for your long term future by getting Nader
> matching funds?  Four years under a true politician like Gore or Bush will
> not change the nation.  In twelve years, though, we'll hopefully have strong
> Green and Libertarian parties which can work on the same level as the
> one-dimensional Asses and Elephants.

Doubtful.