Mike Leone on Sat, 18 Nov 2000 18:21:47 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Installing KDE2 - UPDATE

> On Sat, Nov 18, 2000 at 11:49:35AM +0500, Mike Leone wrote:
> : > : (BTW - "rpm -e kde*" did NOT work; idiot thing said there were no
> : > : packages named kde* installed.
> : >
> : > Of course not, you can't blame RPM for an operator condition.  BTW - you
> : > can't show me a package manager that works that way.
> :
> : Got that command off a mailing list, as the recommended way to remove
> : KDE 1.1.12. So go complain to the person originally giving that advice
> : out.
>
> "It's on the Internet, it must be true!"  Eek.
>
> So, someone gave you bad advice, you blame the software..  It was YOU, who
> said, "...did NOT work; idiot thing said there were no packages named kde*
> installed."  Sounds to me like you're mad at the software, rather than
> the person who gave you the bad advice.

No, the advice was given authoritatively, by someone who said that's the
way you remove multiple packages. So, having no reason to doubt the
advice, I followed it.

> So, rather than playing the part of the poor helpless user, why not show
> some initiative and read the man page for rpm?  That tells you everything
> you need to know.

Because I wasn't looking for info on RPM. I was looking for info about
problems uninstalling KDE - which may or may not have something to do
with RPM. I noticed you decided to expend much more bandwidth than "do
rpm -qa | grep kde". You could much more easily have played the part of
the more knowledgeable and helpful user. But you chose not to.