gabriel rosenkoetter on Sun, 10 Dec 2000 20:07:54 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Linux Crypto File Systems

On Sun, Dec 10, 2000 at 07:09:02PM -0500, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
> 	And what happens if the laptop is stolen before you get back
> to the connection?  Sure, you'd lose what you wrote - but more
> importantly, someone would now have a copy of your (possibly)
> proprietary sources.   (please send all replies concerning open
> source to /dev/null).

Well, my response to that is that the laptop would have to be stolen
while it was with me on a plane, car, train, or other mode of
transportation. But I can see how not everyone would have a fast
connection at both ends of a trip. (Wireless ethernet at the LISA
conference was beautiful.)

Some practical behavior is maybe in order, though... I mean, if it's
always in your sight or locked in your hotel room with you, your
laptop really *can't* be stolen, now can it?

> 	I can understand that for some software, but those of us who
> write client software, or who can develop for server platforms on
> laptops, don't have this problem.

This makes sense. (Back to the temporary CVS tree argument, and the
caveats to it above.)

> 	I personally think that with the right tools, a laptop can be
> MORE secure.  For example, on both my Mac Powerbook and my Sony Vaio
> (Win2K) I run PGPDisk (<http://www.pgp.com>) which allows me to
> maintain an encrypted volume with all my sources.  This volume is
> auto-unmounted whenever the computer is put to sleep (or shut down),
> so that unless someone steals the machine while I am using it, there
> is NO CHANCE for them to get at my sources!

That sounds pretty reliable and, though it's not the live-encryption
FS originally requested in this thread, it would definitely be
feasible to do that under Linux or BSD. One could really just tar
and pgp-encrypt a directory tree when one was done working, but
automation of the whole process would be nice.

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net