Mike Leone on Sun, 10 Dec 2000 20:37:50 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Linux Crypto File Systems

> On Sun, Dec 10, 2000 at 07:09:02PM -0500, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
> >     And what happens if the laptop is stolen before you get back
> > to the connection?  Sure, you'd lose what you wrote - but more
> > importantly, someone would now have a copy of your (possibly)
> > proprietary sources.   (please send all replies concerning open
> > source to /dev/null).
>
> Well, my response to that is that the laptop would have to be stolen
> while it was with me on a plane, car, train, or other mode of
> transportation. But I can see how not everyone would have a fast
> connection at both ends of a trip. (Wireless ethernet at the LISA
> conference was beautiful.)
>
> Some practical behavior is maybe in order, though... I mean, if it's
> always in your sight or locked in your hotel room with you, your
> laptop really *can't* be stolen, now can it?

Most laptops are stolen by this method: you are about to hand your laptop to the custom person, to open and see
that it IS a computer. Someone make a distraction. YOUR laptop is taken in the confusion. (someone picks it up
from the hand-search counter, while your back and the back of the custom search person is turned, looking at the
disturbance).