Bill Jonas on Mon, 11 Dec 2000 11:27:57 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Linux Crypto File Systems

On Mon, Dec 11, 2000 at 06:25:03AM +0500, Mike Leone wrote:
> Most laptops are stolen by this method: you are about to hand your laptop to the custom person, to open and see
> that it IS a computer. Someone make a distraction. YOUR laptop is taken in the confusion. (someone picks it up
> from the hand-search counter, while your back and the back of the custom search person is turned, looking at the
> disturbance).

Also, when you pass through the metal detectors, wait until the person in
front of you has cleared before you place your bag(s) (and especially your
laptop) on the conveyor belt.  I've heard of a scam in which two people
working in concert will get in line at the metal detector immediately in
front of a person carrying what looks like a laptop.  The person doing the
snatching passes through normally, first.  The accomplice is loaded down
with keys, change, all kinds of metal stuff to make the detector go off.
In the mean time, you've set your laptop on the conveyor belt, it's gone
through, and the first one to pass through the metal detector picks it up
and walks off.

Just FYI.

--
Bill Jonas                | "If you haven't gotten where you're going,
bill@billjonas.com        |  you aren't there yet." --George Carlin