Bill Jonas on Thu, 14 Dec 2000 23:27:58 -0500

Re: Window managers (was: Re: [PLUG] Re: PLUG digest, Vol 1 #752 - 10 msgs)

On Thu, Dec 14, 2000 at 10:51:29PM -0500, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> Not speaking from any special personal knowledge of any KDE at all
> here, but is it possible that KDE1's TakeConsole (kludgely) grabs
> ownership (at least group ownership) of /dev/audio and KDE2 expects
> /dev/audio to be owned by the group, say, operator, of which you're
> not member (and should be, historically, since you have access to
> the console)?

Interesting point.  I've still got KDE1 on my home desktop machine, and I
get sound just fine.

bj@morpheus:~$ ls -l /dev/audio
crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,   4 Jul  5 13:44 /dev/audio
bj@morpheus:~$ id
uid=1000(bj) gid=1000(bj) groups=1000(bj),<snip>,29(audio),<snip>

I've found that the first place I should look when I run into weird
problems like that is at permissions.  (Not that I always follow my own
advice/eat my own dog food, which usually results in me banging my head
against the wall for a while...)

--
Bill Jonas                | "If you haven't gotten where you're going,
bill@billjonas.com        |  you aren't there yet." --George Carlin