gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 14 Dec 2000 22:57:50 -0500

Re: Window managers (was: Re: [PLUG] Re: PLUG digest, Vol 1 #752 - 10 msgs)

On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 08:18:44AM +0500, Mike Leone wrote:
> Now, see, I can't seem to get sound in KDE2. I can if I'm root; not as a normal user. And I
> could, in KDE1.

Not speaking from any special personal knowledge of any KDE at all
here, but is it possible that KDE1's TakeConsole (kludgely) grabs
ownership (at least group ownership) of /dev/audio and KDE2 expects
/dev/audio to be owned by the group, say, operator, of which you're
not member (and should be, historically, since you have access to
the console)?

(xcdplayer, for instance, works this way on many systems, both with
the CD device and with the audio device.)

> Also, I can seem to get gpg/pgp to work in kmail. Won't sign; decrypt; nuthin'.

koff koff, use mutt, koff. ;^>

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net