Mike Leone on Fri, 15 Dec 2000 11:37:36 -0500

Re: Window managers (was: Re: [PLUG] Re: PLUG digest, Vol 1 #752 - 10 msgs)

> On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 08:18:44AM +0500, Mike Leone wrote:
> > Now, see, I can't seem to get sound in KDE2. I can if I'm root; not as a normal user. And I
> > could, in KDE1.
>
> Not speaking from any special personal knowledge of any KDE at all
> here, but is it possible that KDE1's TakeConsole (kludgely) grabs
> ownership (at least group ownership) of /dev/audio and KDE2 expects
> /dev/audio to be owned by the group, say, operator, of which you're
> not member (and should be, historically, since you have access to
> the console)?

[turgon@dude turgon]$ cd /dev/
[turgon@dude /dev]$ ls -la audio
crw-------    1 turgon   sys       14,   4 Apr 17  1999 audio
[turgon@dude /dev]$

(turgon is me, the user I am attempting to get sounds to work for)

So *I* am listed as owner. How can I tell who the owner is supposed to be?

> (xcdplayer, for instance, works this way on many systems, both with
> the CD device and with the audio device.)

CDs play fine. I can't seem to get system level sounds.

> > Also, I can seem to get gpg/pgp to work in kmail. Won't sign; decrypt; nuthin'.
>
> koff koff, use mutt, koff. ;^>

<cough, cough> No <cough, cough>

<G>

I want to use a GUI mail client, because I'm in a GUI environment. When
I do mail from a command line,
I do use mutt.

At the moment, tho, I'm using Evolution, in Helix Gnome. But it's still
too unstable - altho there is an update due "this week" that may help.