gabriel rosenkoetter on Fri, 15 Dec 2000 12:47:42 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Re: Sound in KDE2

On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 09:35:01PM +0500, Mike Leone wrote:
> Huh. I have no audio group, for my id to join.

::sigh::

Too much to ask of Linux for a distribution-wide default /etc/group,
I guess?

Anyway, as you pointed out, TakeConsole seems to be doing it's
thing and making you the owner of the audio device. Have you made
sure this device *actually* relates to your audio hardware? (Check
dmesg.)

Have you tried running the various audio apps in some kind of debug
mode?

(As I recall, mpg123 has a good one, but it's been a really long
time before I ascertained that I needed to write a drive to make
sound work on my laptop and decided I'd deal with it later.)

> But sound works - when I pop in an audio CD, when logged in as my non-root user, everything works
> fine. Or is that not applicable to the problem?

Probably not, since your CD-ROM probably has a straight pipe to your
audio hardware. (CDs work in the above-mentioned audio-driver-free
laptop, for instance... at least they did till some mysterious
hardware wackiness cropped up.)

I presume you *can* make sound work as root?

Does your distro ship with a /dev/dsp? (Debian does, and it's the
only Linux variety I've got handy, but it's pretty clearly not what
you're running, since it does have an audio group.) If so, try
THOSE permissions...

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net