Jeff Abrahamson on Fri, 12 Jan 2001 15:47:46 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Re: sendmail "host not found" error

On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 12:29:17PM -0500, Kevin Falcone wrote:

>   AB> --- Kevin Falcone <kevinfal@seas.upenn.edu> wrote:
>
>   >> If you want to send mail to a machine without a DNS
>   >> entry, you have to
>   >> send to user@[ip.address.here]
>
>   AB> That's not the only way:
>   AB> - add appropriate entry to /etc/hosts
>   AB> - add to sendmail.mc:
>
> How does this help me if:
>
> I'm on blue.seas.upenn.edu and I want to send mail to
> myself@an.ip.address.elsewhere?
>
> I guess I have to redo sendmail on blue?  Sorry, I don't have root on
> the UPenn servers.  Yours is useful if you want to be able to send
> mail to kevinfal@red without sendmail doing a DNS lookup, just
> trusting /etc/hosts to know that red is red.seas.upenn.edu and the IP.
> Mine is useful when you can't tweak the current machine's sendmail
> config, and just want to make sure that the remote machine can accept
> mail.

If it's just a couple such addresses, don't be a hero, just put an
entry in /etc/aliases. Or, if you don't have root even on your own
machine (then what are you doing at all?), an entry in your MUA's
address book.

--
 Jeff