LeRoy Cressy on Fri, 26 Jan 2001 08:37:06 -0500

Re: [PLUG] emacs and termcap

Debian uses the terminfo system instead of termcap.  I would suggest
getting the emacs.deb files to install on a debian system.

Read the termcap man page on your debian system.  Also it would be wise
to read the terminfo man page.

To install emacs or xemacs on your system the following debian packages
need to be installed:

emacsen-common
emacs20

for xemacs look at all of the xemacs packages that are available.  I
prefer xemacs20 over the other packages.

To see what is available on the debian system use dselect which will
show every package that you have available to install.

Michael Whitman wrote:

> I installed a debian system.
> Then I tried to install emacs from a tar.gz - I did the standard install,
> the only parameter i gave was '--with-x=no'.
>

> Meanwhile i found out I am supposed to have an /etc/termcap file on the
> debian system but it wasn't there, so I copied the one from my RH system.
> This stopped emacs from complaining about the lack of a termcap database.
>
> So in conclusion - right now emacs runs if variable TERM is set to 'vt320',
> but vi and 'clear' complain about an unknow terminal type.
>
> So by this point it should be clear that I am clueless.  Can anyone
> enlighten me or point me somewhere?

Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy   mailto:ldc@netaxs.com         /\_/\
                       http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc   ( o.o )
                       Phone:  215-535-4037          > ^ <