Bill Jonas on Mon, 29 Jan 2001 22:37:10 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Plugins and Mozilla

On Mon, Jan 29, 2001 at 09:43:11PM -0500, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> Too much shooting. Better just to remember that I have yet to see
> Java employed in *any* truly useful application (please, let's not
> get in a fight over this, folks), and laugh at the silly language.

I don't mean to get into a fight ;) , but an interesting application of
Java is at
<http://www.merckeurolab.de/app/GenericPage?page=/search/molecular.jsp>.
Basically, it's a molecular search engine; you drag atoms onto it to make
molecules, and it will then search the catalog for chemicals containing
that molecular sequence.  Trivial?  Possibly.  Interesting?  Definitely.

(Apologies for not having a link in English; this is one of my employer's
clients (although we didn't write this particular application).)

--
Bill Jonas                | "In contrast to the What You See Is What You
bill@billjonas.com        |  Get (WYSIWYG) philosophy, UNIX is the You