gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 31 Jan 2001 18:51:57 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] xdm delays

On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 06:20:13PM -0500, MaD dUCK wrote:
> i did not, but now i do and now it works. and now i want to uninstall
> it again...
>
> what is xfs used for exactly btw?

Ha!

That wasn't even what I was thinking of.

xfs is the X Font Server, and you most definitely need it, though
you shouldn't have to use RPC to get it from localhost... you
should get it via standard IPC channels... have a look at your
xf86config and related stuff. This is an X thing, and would
probably happen if you did startx, not a strictly xdm thing.
Incidentally... what did you change that triggered this delay? Or has
your system been like this since you moved to Debian?

xFS (note the important case difference) is an experimental
distributed, networked file system (that is, it lacks a central
master). I'm thinking about using it in my cluster and on the Suns
at cs.swarthmore.edu, but it needs some updating (the folks at
Berkeley have versions for SunOS 4 on sparcs and Ultrix on a MIPS,
and only seem to have released the sun4 version... not exactly
going to work right out of the box).

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net