timo on Sun, 4 Feb 2001 19:01:10 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Lynx problems

gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> Did they give you a static IP address?

No.

> If not, then they probably have you using DHCP,

Safe assumption.    ;~}

> which means there's
> a deeper problem here, because your DHCP client software (pump,
> maybe?)

Huh?

I have read something saying that some linux DHCP client software
isn't very reliable.  I find that hard to believe.  Is this true?
(I warned you, real linux newbie here!)

> should have gotten the DNS addresses from the DHCP server
> and overwritten /etc/resolv.conf with it (provided the DHCP client
> is properly configured).

So there would only be an issue (for me) should verizon change
the DNS server IP address...assuming DNS info. is not being
updated through my client software?

Is this a something a moron like me could fix, or should I get
back to it when I'm more comfortable?

Timo