gabriel rosenkoetter on Sun, 4 Feb 2001 19:11:30 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Lynx problems

On Sun, Feb 04, 2001 at 07:08:48PM -0500, timo wrote:
> No.

Uh... then how are you getting a connection? Presuming RedHat,
what's in /etc/sysconfig/network? (Or something like that, I don't
have a RH box around.)

> Safe assumption.    ;~}

::shrug::

Speakeasy gave me 3 static IPs gladly. It's actually less work for
them if I know how to use them, since maintain a DHCP server can be
hell.

> Huh?
>
> I have read something saying that some linux DHCP client software
> isn't very reliable.  I find that hard to believe.  Is this true?
> (I warned you, real linux newbie here!)

Well, it's sometimes not as plug and play as Windows, but that's
just because it's capable of doing more (in a few different ways).

What distribution is this, and how much have you changed it?
(Someone more familiar with your distro should probably answer
questions about your specific DHCP client, because I can't be very
specific.)

> So there would only be an issue (for me) should verizon change
> the DNS server IP address...assuming DNS info. is not being
> updated through my client software?

Uh, sort of. I take it you *are* using some kind of DHCP client?
That is, you've not put a static IP address anywhere in
/etc/sysconfig (or whatever's appropriate to your distro)?

The other end of this is that there are some other files in /etc
that a DHCP client really is supposed to rebuild with information
from the server, and if they aren't getting rebuilt, some other
weird things may happen.

> Is this a something a moron like me could fix, or should I get
> back to it when I'm more comfortable?

Well, this is something you could leave alone and it's probably
work, but it's also not a bad place to start learning more. Do a man
-k dhcp and see if any of those man pages shed some light first on
what your DHCP client is supposed to be and second on how to get it
configured correctly.

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net