timo on Sun, 4 Feb 2001 19:24:36 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Lynx problems

gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 04, 2001 at 07:08:48PM -0500, timo wrote:
>
> Uh... then how are you getting a connection? Presuming RedHat,
> what's in /etc/sysconfig/network? (Or something like that, I don't
> have a RH box around.)

Why yes, it is RH.

etc/sysconfig/networking reveals this:

NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain

> Speakeasy gave me 3 static IPs gladly. It's actually less work for
> them if I know how to use them, since maintain a DHCP server can be
> hell.

Well, had I really researched, I wouldn't have gone with
verizon for many reasons, and that's one of them.

> > I have read something saying that some linux DHCP client software
> > isn't very reliable.  I find that hard to believe.  Is this true?
> > (I warned you, real linux newbie here!)
>
> Well, it's sometimes not as plug and play as Windows, but that's
> just because it's capable of doing more (in a few different ways).
>
> What distribution is this, and how much have you changed it?

RH 6.2

Changed?  Hehehe.  Yer funny.  I've added a PPPOE client.<period>
I wouldn't know how to change anything but some TCP/IP stuff,
users, and maybe permissions...maybe.

> (Someone more familiar with your distro should probably answer
> questions about your specific DHCP client, because I can't be very
> specific.)
>
> > So there would only be an issue (for me) should verizon change
> > the DNS server IP address...assuming DNS info. is not being
> > updated through my client software?
>
> Uh, sort of. I take it you *are* using some kind of DHCP client?
> That is, you've not put a static IP address anywhere in
> /etc/sysconfig (or whatever's appropriate to your distro)?

I assume I have some type of DHCP client, I do pick up an IP
address from verizon upon logon.

No...I certainly didn't change anything.

> The other end of this is that there are some other files in /etc
> that a DHCP client really is supposed to rebuild with information
> from the server, and if they aren't getting rebuilt, some other
> weird things may happen.
>
> > Is this a something a moron like me could fix, or should I get
> > back to it when I'm more comfortable?
>
> Well, this is something you could leave alone and it's probably
> work, but it's also not a bad place to start learning more. Do a man
> -k dhcp and see if any of those man pages shed some light first on
> what your DHCP client is supposed to be and second on how to get it
> configured correctly.

Cool.  I will.  Thank you again!

Timo